We will be visiting you to install a smart meter (automatic electricity meter) with modern technology that automatically measures your electricity consumption – 24 hours a day.
A smart meter is a box containing a small radio transmitter, which will replace the meter currently in your service cabinet. The new digital meter will record your electricity consumption and send the reading to your electricity provider once an hour, saving you the need to read your meter.
• It will be Easier – you will not need to read your meter
• It will be Safer – the new meter will allow us to monitor electricity consumption in your home and help us to more accurately locate any faults and then fix these more quickly
• It will be Smarter – your meter will continually record your electricity consumption and, if you wish, your meter can be connected to energy management systems. You can choose any supplier to provide additional equipment for these systems
• You will be able to monitor your electricity consumption more easily
• You pay for the actual electricity you used each hour and can reduce your consumption when electricity is more expensive.
The electricity network in Norway is being modernised, and new smart meters will be a key part of the new infrastructure. Smart meters will provide Norway with a safer and more flexible electricity network, and reduce the need for future network expansions.
You will receive a new smart meter by 1 January 2019. We will start installing the first meters in autumn 2017. You will be sent information well ahead of our visit.
Your electricity supplier will hire in personnel to install most of the meters. You will receive information stating who will install your smart meter well in advance of the scheduled replacement.
The meter records your electricity consumption each hour and sends this information to your electricity provider. This will help them to accurately measure your electricity consumption. The meter will make it easier to locate any power faults at your property and to fix these more quickly. It will also make it easier to monitor your electricity consumption and so allow you to save electricity, and money. If you wish, you can connect your meter to energy management systems, which, for example, regulate heat or hot water appliances. You can decide whether you want to use energy management systems, in which case you can choose any supplier to provide additional equipment.